Packed with protein and fiber, this highly nutritious and healthy black beans and tomatoes quinoa, combined with veggies is perfect for busy weeknights!
Looks like my 4 yr old is born health conscious. He loves to eat his veggies, salads, fruits but has no liking for chocolate, ice creams or cakes. Well, I am not complaining but that means I have to come up with healthy recipes for him all the time.
Have you grabbed your copy of my Editable Recipe Binder
These avocado brownies that I made last week were gone really fast. He loved these and asked for more all by himself. Asking for food all by himself is a rare occurrence in our household. He is one of those picky eaters that I am sure you have one of in your family as well. Right?
Well, we normally eat regular fried rice (note to self: I have to post a recipe for that too!). So when thinking of making a healthier version, I replaced rice with quinoa for this black bean and tomato quinoa with avocado recipe. That’s all!
It came out pretty good, awesome actually lol. Since I do not see how to include avocado in my fried rice, I had to find an excuse to include avocado in this recipe, so I chopped a few in the end and topped this black bean and tomato quinoa with these avocados. Voila! Everyone loved it!
I love quinoa for all the health benefits it has to offer. It is an awesome source of fiber and protein. Add your favorite veggies like black beans, soy bean, corn, green pepper, avocado and you have a plate full of nutritional goodness.
When cooking quinoa, always give it a good rinse. Reason being quinoa is covered with natural coating called saponin. If not removed, it can make quinoa taste bitter or soapy.
To rinse it properly, soak it in a bowl for sometime. You will see the water getting cloudy. Give it a good stir. Drain that water out and soak the quinoa with fresh water again. Stir.
Repeat for another 2 – 3 times or until the water is clear.
You can also use a really fine strainer to drain the quinoa under the water. Drain water until you see it getting clear. Basically rinse your quinoa real good before cooking – even if it is pre rinsed.
This quick and easy dinner was gone too fast. My kiddo loves it and we cook it pretty frequently. I’m sure you will too, once you cook it once!
If you happen to make this black bean and tomatoes quinoa with avocados, please upload on Instagram and hashtag #thisgirlsrecipes. I’d love to see your creations.
Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa with Avocado Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Onion small, chopped
- 1 cup Quinoa uncooked
- 1 Tomato small, chopped
- 1/2 cup Corn canned
- 1/2 cup Black Beans
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt or to your taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Avocado medium
- 1 Lime medium
- 10 Cilantro Leaves chopped
- 2.5 cup Cold Water
- 1/2 cup Green Peas optional
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on a medium heat. Add onions. Let cook for 30 seconds or until golden brown. Add cumin seeds. Cook for another 20 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add garlic. Cook for 20 seconds or until golden brown. Add salt and turmeric powder. Stir with wooden spatula for let cook for another 20 seconds.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 30 seconds or until tomatoes become mushy and a gravy forms. Add black beans and corn. Stir for 20 seconds.
- Add water. Stir a few times. Cover with lid. Let it cook for 20 minutes on low heat or until fully cooked.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle lime juice. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve in bowls. Top each quinoa serving with fresh chopped avocado.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
That’s all for today! Until Next Time …