Made with fresh, ripe tomatoes, this creamy tomato soup is delicious, healthy and so filling. A perfect comfort food to enjoy in winters!
We had snow over the weekend, finally. Fortunately it was Sunday, and we just enjoyed the flurries from inside the house. This one being the first one of the season, looked so beautiful and serene. I’m sure we won’t feel the same way a few weeks into it.
I’m not sure about you (although I’m sure you too) but I crave for comfort food in this kind of weather.
This classic creamy tomato soup is what we love to eat on cold chilly days. It’s a great comfort food, an awesome dinner appetizer or a family gathering. I also enjoy it sometimes when I don’t fee like cooking any fancy dinner (or any kind of dinner) and have this instead as a light dinner.
Not only is it delicious, it is packed with nutrients, healthy and so filling. It tastes best when made with fresh ripe tomatoes. Kids are guaranteed to love it. Top with bread crumbs, cream or garnish with black pepper or cilantro.
Main reason I make this soup so frequently in winters is because how easy it is to make. You only need a handful of vegetables, like onions, tomatoes and garlic cloves.
Using your kitchen knife, chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic.
Heat some olive oil in the skillet, saute the onions, until they start turning brown and translucent.
Add garlic and saute some more until the mix starts turning light brown.
Add tomatoes to the onions and garlic mix. Cook for sometime.
Let them cook for sometime until they become soft.
Set it aside for sometime, until it warms down from really really hot cooking. Once warm, pour the tomato mix to the blender, and blend on medium
Once blended thoroughly, strain through the strainer.
This is what strained tomato part in a medium bowl looks like.
Transfer to the skillet, and cook on medium heat. Add butter, salt and ground black pepper.
Garnish with cilantro, cream and bread crumbs!
This is the creamy tomato soup you will cook so simply and so easily. And it is so delicious, perfect comfort food for the chilly winters!
If you happen to make this creamy tomato soup, please upload on Instagram and hashtag with #thisgirlsrecipes. I’d love to see your recipes!
Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Yield: 2 bowls
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add onions. Saute for about a 1 minute or until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and saute for another 1 min or garlic and onions are light brown.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 10 - 12 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Set the tomatoes mix aside for about 5 minutes and let it warm. When it is warm enough, put it in a blender and blend the mix thoroughly.
- Strain through the strainer and filter the thin tomato soup part.
- Place the strained portion in the skillet on medium heat. When he soup bubbles, add butter. When the soup reaches your desired consistency, add salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro, ground black pepper or bread crumbs. Serve warm!
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
That’s all for today! Until Next Time …..