I normally end up making couple of dishes over the weekend and freeze the ones that I can, to use later in the week. We love to eat mashed potato pancakes every now and then.
One of the weekends ago, when we made these potato cakes, we were left with some mashed potato, so I decided to whip up something quick for my little fussy eater.
My son loves to eat the packaged Potato Smiley Fries bought from store. But it’s been a while since we got those, and I had been thinking of trying them at home sometime. Looking at the mashed potato leftovers, I got a perfect excuse.
It looked like they would be tricky to make, but nope. They were surprisingly easy. To make them a wee bit healthy, I added mashed chickpeas. It was purely experimental, I wasn’t sure how the texture was going to be, but they came out really good.
Plus, chickpeas are a great source of protein, fiber, manganese and folate. So why not? Right?
Other ingredients you’ll need for these smileys are cornstarch, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper! I sometimes add quarter of a cup of cheese, but to this version I didn’t. You can add potato starch instead of cornstarch.
These crispy potato chickpeas smiley face fries are so delicious yet healthy. My little picky eater was super delighted and couldn’t keep his hands off these fries, and I ain’t complaining. He also wanted little hearts, along with smileys, so we made little hearts as well. He even helped with some.
We enjoyed these potato chickpeas smiley fries with ketchup and cilantro jalapeno dip. That green dip in the pictures, that’s cilantro and jalapeno dip. Do let me know if you want the recipe for that dip. I’ll be happy to post. It’s super easy to make though!
If you happen to make these crispy potato chickpeas smily fries, please upload on Instagram and hashtag with #thisgirlsrecipes. I’d love to see your recipes!
Crispy Potato Chickpeas Smiley Fries Recipe
- Yield: 15 Smilies
- Boil the potatoes for 10 - 15 minutes or until soft.
- In a medium bowl, place the boiled potatoes, mash with fork.
- Add mashed chickpeas, cornstarch, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mash and mix these ingredients with fork.
- Make a dough and flatten with rolling pin. Although the dough shouldn't be sticky at this point, but if it is, take a wax paper, dust with all purpose flour, Place the dough, dust some more flour. Place another wax paper on top of the dough. Flatten the dough with rolling pin.
- Using a round cookie cutter, make small circles from the flat dough. Using the straw, make eyes in those circles and using a spoon, make a smiley.
- Deep fry these little smiley circles until golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup or cilantro jalapeno dip.
Looking for more kid friendly recipes? Here are some of my son’s favorites!
That’s all for today! Until Next Time …..